- The mental strains of caregiving adversely impact household chores and their social lives.
- Middle-aged caregivers are more likely to binge drink, smoke and/or be obese.
- Middle-aged caregivers lack support. Many are single, divorced or widowed, most work, and many are low income.
- Live-in caregivers spend an average of 36 hours weekly on caregiving, and most work full or part time.
- Few caregivers are paid for their services, but many contribute their own funds while caregiving.
- Respite services can reduce caregiver strains, but are underutilized.
More than ever, we need programs to support our caregivers! Additional information can be found at http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/09/110921133209.htm